Saturday, September 18, 2010

Sorrento, Capri & Pompeii

Sorrento just might be my favorite town in Italy (besides Rome of course). The town is so quaint and charming with cobblestone roads and streets laden with vendors selling scarfs, limoncello (which Sorrento is famous for), and a variety of other trinkets and keepsakes. My favorite store featured ties made with silk from Napoli and scarfs made with cashmere and silk. On our first night spent in Sorrento we went to a pizzeria located in the main square. I had a pizza with mozzarella, salami, and tomatoes, accompanied by pinot grigio, it was wonderful.

On Saturday we took a ferry to Capri for the day. While there we hiked all the way up to the main center of the town, which was quite a hike! I can see why most people take a bus up the center, however, I am glad we decided to walk because we had the opportunity to see the less touristy areas and enjoy the beautiful views of the sea. My favorite store on Capri would have to be this perfume shop, Carthusia,  that features specialty scents made with ingredients from the island by monks. I may have just bought myself a bottle of the Mediterranean blend...

Saturday night we came back to Sorrento and went out to a karaoke club. No, I did not have enough to drink to make me sing ;) but I did own the dance floor.

On Sunday we took a tour of Pompeii. I was surprised by the size of the city, it was a great deal larger than I had envisioned. It was incredible and eerie to see the ruins of the city and especially the preserved bodies of families who tried escaping the eruption.

1 comment:

  1. I can see why you fell in love with Sorrento - you certainly captured some lovely images.

    ReplyDelete